Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Introductory Blog

Hey yall,

My name is Jaclyn Crain, but I go by Jackie, I am a Junior Interior Design Major/Business Minor from San Antonio, TX.

I choose to take this course simply because I am fascinated with literature and figured I would keep myself busy this summer while I'm staying in the Fort. I think it's so important to have a basic understanding of our literary history and I hope to enhance that understanding with this course.

I'm one of those people who watch the movie instead of reading the book haha. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a good read from time to time, but I don't invest nearly enough time into leisurely reading as I would like. For my AP literature class my Senior year of high school we had to choose an author from a designated list and read two of their works. I read The Handmaiden's Tale and The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and absolutely fell in love with her writing. Since then I have read three other novels by Atwood on my own time. We also read numerous works of fiction/plays including: Death of a Salesman, Heart of Darkness, Beloved, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, among many others. This was the first class that really opened my eyes to the world of literature, and having a teacher who felt so passionate about what she taught made it all the more enjoyable. 

In terms of what I hope to accomplish...I'm really just excited to return to reading since I haven't taken any form of English, let alone Fiction, course in college. 

I think the best way to learn with the nature of this course is through class discussion. Not only listening to others opinions but participation helps me to understand the material more thoroughly. Also I like having the entire course mapped out in front of me so I know what to expect in regards to future reading assignments and grades, which you have already done! It helps to to plan ahead and keep on task.

Something interesting about me...hmmm...I have never broken a bone!... I don't know if that's
a big accomplishment, but it's something haha. Also I've traveled to Japan and it is by far the most unique place I have ever been. It's probably one of the biggest culture shocks I have ever experienced.

I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of the course syllabus.

No comments:

Post a Comment