Sunday, June 7, 2009

Film Adaptation Proposal

As of right now I've decided to go with Gilman's piece The Yellow Wallpaper for my film adaptation essay. I think there are so many elements to this work and was considering making it a autobiographical film of Gilman's own life since she went through similar experiences (i.e. post partum depression, a mental condition, etc). To do so, I plan on doing more research on Gilman's personal history. I think the beginning of the film should focus on how she met her husband and show the progression of how that relationship deteriorated over time, culminating with her mental breakdown with the wallpaper as a the conclusion of the film. Visualizing how this can be translated on the big screen, I think the descriptive text of the narrator's encounter with the wallpaper would make for great special effects. Because the meat of this story is supported in large part by the narrator, since it is from her point of view, I need to cast an actress that can live up to those standards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment