Monday, June 15, 2009

Author's Note

I'm writing this note at the conclusion of my final draft. Reflecting back on my drafting of the 6 elements earlier in the week, I have made significant changes since then. First of all I decided to follow through with a specific genre. I figured that a physcological thriller rendition of Gilman's piece would make for an interesting motion picture. As far as doubts or concerns, I'm still a little hesitant with my decision to cast Russell Crowe as John. Although he is an exceptional actor, he's never really shot a film in this genre. I'm not even sure if he is interested in this type of work. Since he is such an acclaimed actor is has the privelege to choose his films, and I'm not so sure this would appeal to him. Another actor I was considering for Dr. Mitchell was Christian Bale. His work in American Psycho and Equilbrium may have made him the good choice, but I'm confident in my decision to choose Johnny Depp.

I'm satsifed with my overall proposal. I think I produced a solid film adapation that could be easily transformed into a motion picture. I'm also satisfied with my title choice (like I mentioned in the paper, Hysteria is simple yet mysterious). I also think this movie is very marketable from the ensemble cast of chracters to the ever popular suspense genre of this day and age. I think this movie would appeal to many types of people.

I had difficulty wording how I would portray irony on film. I understand the irony in the text but I had trouble explaining how I would convey that on the big screen. Did I mix up situational and dramatic?

Also I feel like I could have interpretated the short story in a more creative fashion. Speilberg's film adaptation of Philip Dick's Minority Report was completely original. Speilberg took the basic concept and developed his own unique plot, whereas I simply took the Gilman's existing narrative and expanded.

No comments:

Post a Comment